Between October 19th and 21st, 2022, the annual meeting of the Board of the EUTF (European Underground & Tunnel Forum), was held in Bologna. Portugal was represented by the president of the CPT and member of the board, Eng. Raúl Pistone. The Portuguese Young Members (CPTym) were represented by Eng. Luís Miranda, member of the CPT management and coordinator of the young members team.
The annual meeting of the Board of the EUTF was organized by the SIG – Societá Italiana Gallerie, the Italian counterpart of the CPT, and took place within the scope of a highly relevant national event: The role of Underground Infrastructures in the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The participation of the EUTF board materialized in a round table where the following topics were discussed:
- Programs currently underway in each Country for infrastructure, with specific reference to tunnelling. The most significant construction sites/projects.
- Within the NGEU Sustainable Development Goals for 2030, the main issues discussed by the panel were:
- Sustainable development in tunnelling.
- Sustainable cities: how underground works can contribute to improve life and commuting.
- Energy: How underground works can contribute to reduce energy consumption.
- Maintenance: how old tunnels can be refurbished to increase their service life.
- Innovation in tunnelling: new design and construction methods and materials in conventional excavation.
- Innovation in tunnelling: new design and construction methods and materials in TBM excavation, including systematic use of artificial intelligence.
- “Green TBM”: what choices can be made to reduce CO2 emissions in TBMs.
- Monitoring and Tunnelling Information Modelling: tools to enhance the design, construction, operation and maintenance phases.
- Resilient infrastructures: why tunnels are considered to be a more suitable infrastructure.
Congratulations to the organization of the Italian colleagues, namely for the excellent attention and care in the developed program of the meeting!